The following job duties describe the basic functions and responsibilities of the position and are not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. General Duties
- Provide technical capabilities to support the business objectives of the lead centers
- Participate on specific material, process and product development projects as required
- Provide support in technology sharing and cooperative programs between and among lead centers, divisions, and corporate technical development
- Develop appropriate relationships with customers, vendors, and technical and trade organizations
- Effectively interface with the company’s multi-national lead centers
2. Technical Knowledge
- Possess knowledge of rubber (or plastic) formulation design
- Possess knowledge of material testing e.g. ASTM methods
- Possess knowledge of rubber (or plastic) mixing
- Knowledge of surface chemistry relative to adhesion
3. Technical Integration
- Possess a working knowledge of rubber fabrication, molding and extrusion methods and types
- Possess a working knowledge of compound attributes as they relate to processing
- Possess a working knowledge of compound attributes as they relate to specific design function/performance
- Possess a working knowledge of surface chemistry including bonding to metallic and non-metallic substrates
- Have a working knowledge of tooling technology associated with injection, compression and transfer molding
4. Technical Delivery
- Provide technical support to the manufacturing sites in the areas of: molding troubleshooting, scrap reduction activities, low cost compounds and process improvements
- Provide technical support to the components sites in the areas of: mixing specifications, scrap reduction, testing, surface chemistry, process improvements
- Provide technical support during Kaizen and 3P activities
5. Scientific Method
- Use DOE techniques
- Initiate programs to achieve the improved profitability of products through compound improvements in concert with the manufacturing sites
- Create and execute a project plan
- Use literature research skills to form foundation of programs to assist in framing the material development projects
- Must keep proper laboratory records which include the development plan and all associated material design flow
- Experience participating in projects in the area of materials technology. Responsibilities include R&D projects focused on materials development activities that will lead to competitive advantages for the corporation. Provides input in planning of these projects and facilitates materials technology sharing within the partners.
- Functional proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint systems.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks as assigned.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
- Problem solving skills and reasoning ability.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to learn.
- Good interpersonal skills; a team player.
- Good written and verbal communication skills (English).
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Material Science.
- 3 + years Chemistry Laboratory experience in a corporate/ business environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Material Science with 5 + years of experience developing and testing elastomer or plastic materials.
- Other business languages are highly valued, especially European or Asia/Pacific languages.
A condition of employment requires that the incumbent learn, abide by and sponsor the Guiding Principles of the Freudenberg Group.
Do you have any questions?