Chem-Trend, a company of the Freudenberg Group, and part of Freudenberg Chemical Specialities, is a global organization with manufacturing operations in North and South America, Europe and Asia, sales offices in 17 countries and distributors in more than 50 countries that are supported by its headquarters in Michigan. Chem-Trend has a singular focus of formulating and manufacturing innovative process chemical specialities for use in the die casting, rotational molding, general rubber, polyurethane, tire, thermoplastic and composite industries.
The Project Engineer will oversee the implementation of selected capital improvement projects, provide technical support to Operations, and provide equipment application support to Sales and customers.
· Plan and manage capital improvements projects.
· Provide detailed design work and engineering plans for projects, with emphasis on HSE aspects.
· Prepare cost estimates and justifications for capital projects.
· Procure supplies, equipment, and services as needed to support core activities.
· Provide engineering support, training and problem solving/troubleshooting during start-up of projects.
· Investigate opportunities to improve safety, risk management, efficiency, and/or performance of existing processes and systems, either independently or as part of a team activity.
· Select and prepare equipment for applying Chem-Trend products in the field, and answer technical questions from customers and sales teams on the proper operation and maintenance of the equipment.
· Develop customer specific application solutions, including customer visits as required.
· Test equipment either for Chem-Trend manufacturing or customer applications as needed to improve our understanding of the process in question.
· Maintain supporting documentation for all applications equipment, such as data sheets and technical manuals.
· Maintain existing plant technical drawings such as site plans, P&ID’s, mechanical drawings, etc.
· Provide controls & automation planning and support to both new projects and existing systems.
· Provide support to Health, Safety, Environmental programs especially engineering drawings, data, and calculations as needed.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Project Management
· Capital project cost analysis
· Ability to effectively communicate with different levels within Chem-Trend or a customers’ company (could be shop floor, engineers, or management)
· Excellent organizational and self-directed planning skills
· Ability to multi-task and work within deadlines
· Knowledge/experience of the following areas of engineering:
· Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
· Previous industrial experience preferably in chemical process industry
· AutoCAD or other CAD experience
· Experience with industrial automation and controls and IIoT applications
· Fluency in German or Chinese is useful in this position
· Experience in Lean or Six Sigma programs is useful in this position
Special Position Requirements:
· This position requires overnight and international travel.
· Weekend travel or work is occasionally necessary.
· Communicate with others and exchange accurate information.
· Operate a computer and other office machinery or equipment.
· Occasionally complete positional tasks that may include bending, squatting, twisting and overhead reaching.
· Ability to make gross or fine adjustments to parts, machines, vehicles or controls that require coordinating fine or gross finger or hand movement with visual information.
· Occasionally ascend and descend a ladder using fall protection techniques to inspect equipment.
· Occasionally use hand tools for testing and inspection of equipment or machinery (if properly trained).
· The ability to wear personal protective gear correctly, such as safety glasses, safety shoes, helmet or bump cap, highly visible vest, and gloves, part or most of the day.
· This job takes place in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. Office employees are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times in production areas and labs.
· This position will also need to visit Chem-Trend plants and labs, and on occasion customer and supplier plants, in order to obtain information and/or communicate with colleagues. PPE is required at all times in production areas and labs to avoid the risk of sustaining illness and injury from the use of tools, instruments, chemicals and laboratory activities.
Chem-Trend operates around the globe with employees worldwide. We are a customer-focused organization with a culture of innovation, responsiveness, and work/life balance. We recognize that it’s our people who make Chem-Trend a leader in the release agent industry so we strive to keep employees happy, motivated and challenged. Apply online to become a part of the Chem-Trend team!