FIT America is an SAP-certified global provider of managed cloud services. FIT’s recognized as a leading strategic partner and provider within the SAP ecosystem, earning some of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the industry. Every day, we’re hard at work, behind the scenes, helping customers optimize the complicated technology that keeps their businesses humming. From consulting to cloud computing to analytics to help desk to disaster recovery, FIT provides the managed services, and multi-level security, forward-thinking companies need to stay competitive and be resilient in today’s increasingly complex world.
Unix/Linux Platform Engineer
The Unix/Linux Platform Engineer plays a central role within the hosting organization and FIT’s hosting practice. The Platform Engineer's ultimate responsibility will be for the technical integrity of work performed and deliverables associated with the Systems Engineering area of responsibility.
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but not limited to: user account administration, kick start installations, virtual server deployments, software installation, system updates, troubleshooting Linux operating system and hardware failures, and monitoring servers for health and status. The chosen candidate may be required to respond to after-hours requests as required in a 24 x 7 environment.
The Platform Engineer will:
- Have a firm understanding of capacity planning and device monitoring techniques
- Lead internal projects that improve the capability of our current Unix/Linux Landscape
- Provide 3rd level technical support for AIX/Linux related challenges
- Mentor Operations Engineers on successfully completing AIX/Linux-related internal projects or tasks
- Analyze users' requirements, concept of operations documents, and high-level system architectures to develop system requirements specifications
- Analyze system requirements and lead design and development activities
- Guide users in formulating requirements, advise alternative approaches, and conduct feasibility studies
- Provide technical leadership for the integration of requirements, design, and technology
- Incorporate new plans, designs and systems into ongoing operations
- Develop technical documentation
- Develop system architecture and system design documentation
- Guide system development and implementation planning through assessment or preparation of system engineering management plans and system integration and test plans
- Interact with the customer regarding Systems Engineering technical considerations and for associated problems, issues or conflicts
- Provide intermediate/advance Linux user and server support
- 5+ years of IT experience
- Working knowledge of AIX and Power hardware admin/engineering
- Working knowledge of Linux operating systems and hardware
- Ability to manage projects and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of programming language concepts
- Working understanding of AWS/Azure and cloud computing
- Deep knowledge of at least one scripting language (Perl, KSH, Bash, or Python)
- Ability to balance and manage customer needs, daily responsibilities and additional projects as assigned
- Ability to focus simultaneously on production duties and customer needs
- Project management experience including projects that involve interfacing with multiple technical and business teams
- Understanding of capacity planning and device monitoring techniques
- Proficient in the following: DNS, NFS, yum, LVM, rsyslog, VMware, SAN configuration on physical server, networking, SaltStack/Chef, clustering, Shell and Python scripting
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to influence teams to adopt proposed solutions
- “Big Picture” thinking - the ability to see how parts interact with the whole
- High level of flexibility and ability to focus through periods of significant change and challenge in the business environment
- Strong organizational and critical thinking skills
- Previous experience with NetApp and HP3Par storage devices
- Solid understanding of Managed Hosting Services
Why work at FIT? For starters, we’re pretty cool peeps. Beyond that, your work here really matters. Really. There are no drones in sector 7-G here. Nope, you’ll be expected to pitch in, pull your weight and push the company forward —from the start. We’re growing rapidly and need go-getters, not order-takers. Put another way, you get the chance to make a difference right away!
Do you have any questions?