Chem-Trend, a company of the Freudenberg Group, and part of Freudenberg Chemical Specialities, is a global organization with manufacturing operations in North and South America, Europe and Asia, sales offices in 17 countries and distributors in more than 50 countries that are supported by its headquarters in Michigan. Chem-Trend has a singular focus of formulating and manufacturing innovative process chemical specialities for use in the die casting, rotational molding, general rubber, polyurethane, tire, thermoplastic and composite industries.
The primary role of a Plant Chemist is to serve as an interface between the technology and manufacturing groups. Additionally, a considerable amount of time is spent managing the new formula entry process, formulation scale-up, assisting in the resolution of product production issues and identifying and investigating opportunities where production efficiencies can be implemented.
· Investigate and aid in the implementation of more cost effective manufacturing processes, minimizing capital expenditures, while maintaining/improving product quality.
· Implement changes to processing, formulation and specifications to minimize batch adjustments, product failures and quality problems. Work in conjunction with the QA and Product Line Chemists.
· Assist Sales with product consolidation projects to reduce inventory on hand.
· Troubleshoot and resolve batch issues during manufacture to reduce scrap/rework and minimize costs. Contact appropriate Product Line Chemist when necessary.
· Update procedures as necessary to ensure that they are representative of floor and operational practices.
· Identify waste or non-value added work as it pertains to processing and eliminate it where feasible.
· Coordinate test batches with Sales, Purchasing, Lab, and Production to evaluate new raw materials, manufacturing processes or formulation adjustments.
· Review, approve, and maintain database of rework materials. Coordinate with Lab and Production to determine disposition of modified formulas.
· Review new formulas entered into Ross for completeness and accuracy and determine appropriate manufacturing processes.
· Maintain process specifications and product recipes for production environments. Verify formula changes and update process specifications as needed.
· Upload and maintain work instructions for new and existing products. Edit as needed to reflect changes in work procedure, account for variations between lab and plant-scale production, and modifications due to formula changes.
· Assist other departments, including production, inventory control, and quality control with backup duties where appropriate.
· Where necessary provide global support to other manufacturing units to improve product quality and cost effectiveness.
· Other duties, as assigned.
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry with a working knowledge of chemical thermodynamics and reaction mechanisms.
· Minimum of 3 years of experience in industrial and/or formulation/product development environments
· Familiarity with various types of process equipment and the effect on chemical systems.
· Working knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC) and statistically designed experiments.
· Solid writing, communication, and computer skills.
· Ability to scientifically analyze a situation and to act on that analyses decisively and rapidly.
· Working knowledge of relational databases, database queries, and data selection.
· Advanced knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) system on a cross-functional basis.
· Advanced knowledge of configuration and setup of Advance Planning System (APS) scheduling software, including relationship and integration to ERP.
· Ability to coordinate information and processes between multiple departments.
Chem-Trend operates around the globe with employees worldwide. We are a customer-focused organization with a culture of innovation, responsiveness, and work/life balance. We recognize that it’s our people who make Chem-Trend a leader in the release agent industry so we strive to keep employees happy, motivated and challenged. Apply online to become a part of the Chem-Trend team!