The incumbent is primarily responsible for automation & equipment engineering development and support to the overall plant for both new business growth as well as existing production. This responsibility includes conceptualizing and defining new and/or modified processes and equipment. Because of the incumbent’s level of experience, he/she is learning and applying the methods and calculations related to developing equipment costs. Technical inputs are provided so that quote inquiries from Sales/Marketing are responded to in a timely manner. Equipment development encompasses prototype and production machines and tooling to achieve the flawless launch of new products to production.
On-going support to production is also included, which consists of continuous improvement projects, productivity improvement, scrap and waste reduction, process troubleshooting, and 8D support to Quality. Accurate and timely documentation is created and maintained in support of new and existing production. Individual must be a self-starter and have the ability to carry out tasks with minimal supervision.
Manufacturing Engineer - Morristown
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- To conceptualize and develop lean manufacturing processes for new and existing business opportunities, which may include new and/or modified plant, equipment and process needs
- Participate in the Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) process, leading the development of new, lean production processes and equipment to achieve a flawless production launch
- Initiate and lead continuous improvement projects to reduce cost, improve productivity, reduce scrap or waste, improve machine uptime, and provide daily support to production, including 8D support
- Create and maintain accurate engineering/process documentation such as Machine Specification Guidelines (MSG) and requests for quote for new and/or modified equipment;
- Aid with short- and long-term planning for capital expenditures relating to future production requirements; Support projects involving new capital equipment
- Supports and participates in the Quality System, EMS and OHS programs
- Maintain adherence to company policies, safety/ergonomic standards and good housekeeping practices
- Understand and implement the health, safety, and environmental policies and to integrate health, safety, and environmental considerations into daily work activities
- Coordinate the Automation portion of all assigned projects. This would include machine design, function, and programming aspects. Work with equipment vendor to meet all specifications we define for a machine
- Maintain excellent communications between Freudenberg and equipment suppliers
- Coordinate machine final run-off & machine integration to the Freudenberg facility
- Work with internal project manager to ensure equipment is meeting targeted completion date
- Coordinate training of engineering technicians on equipment at the starting of the job
- Ensure all machine specifications, drawings, submittals, purchase orders, etc. are well documented according to Freudenberg standards
- Coordinate /assist in complete startup and commissioning of installed automation systems including writing operator work instructions, testing and documenting quality check samples (confidence units), and training production personnel
- Provide troubleshooting of machine problems on both new and existing auxiliary equipment. Resolve daily equipment issues by assisting engineering technicians
- Work closely with the Engineering APQP on all active and future projects. Provide updates of equipment in-process as well as planning for new equipment
- Assist engineering technicians on a daily basis with any reoccurring opportunities for improvement that may arise
- Ensure new and existing equipment complies with Freudenberg safety regulations and standards
- Be aware of all OSHA requirements that may pertain to assigned projects
- Assist other departments as required by management
- Participate in continuing education / training classes as necessary
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – Mechanical, Manufacturing, Industrial, or closely related discipline.
- 5 plus years of related experience in automation/equipment design, assembly, fabrication
- Good technical problem solving/analytical skills and mechanical aptitude are required. Hands-on, shop floor experience is required
- Experience in advanced engineering/statistical problem solving methods including Six Sigma is preferred. Six Sigma Green Belt certification is a plus
- A working knowledge of Lean Systems or Lean Systems certification and experience in leading lean project work is a plus
- Ability to understand engineering drawings, equipment designs, equipment maintenance
- Experience in the use of personal computers is required
- Good computer skills are essential to this position as the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and various types of hardware and software will be required as part of typical communication within Freudenberg
- Good people skills are essential to this position due to its exposure to professional personnel, hourly workforce, machine suppliers, and customer interaction
- Must exhibit good communication, project management, and interpersonal skills, and an ability to manage his/her own priorities and workload while working in a team environment
Special Circumstances of the Job:
Must be able to prioritize tasks and coordinate development efforts and project activities with numerous departments, including other FNST facilities. Must be able to plan and complete projects in an efficient manner in a fast-paced environment. Must also be flexible in accepting responsibilities and assignments, as the needs and the staffing of the facility change. Individual must also be willing to work on any shift at times to address shift specific issues.
Travel to other FNST facilities, customers and suppliers is sometimes required. Obtaining cooperation and support from individuals who report to another manager is sometimes a challenge, requiring incumbent to utilize effective communication skills and project management techniques.
A condition of employment requires that the incumbent learn, abide by and sponsor the Guiding Principles of the Freudenberg Group.
Do you have any questions?